Friday, December 03, 2010

CALVIN TRAN

Clothes that come with directions intrigue me! Maybe it's the idea of getting a 2 for 1 deal that I like, but clothes that can be worn several ways are just smart. Several years ago I stumbled upon Calvin Tran's brick and mortar shop on Halsted Street in NY. I was looking for something to wear to my husband's holiday work party(I may have been newly pregnant, I can't remember) and was not having any luck. I got lucky at Calvin Tran. I walked out with several pieces that all came with instructions: A sleeveless wool shirt that could be worn three ways. A skirt that doubled as a tunic and/or wrap. All beautiful pieces and very well made. I just wore the skirt to an event the other night and I am still in love.

My tivo automatically recorded the Fashion Show this season and I didn't think I would watch it. But one night, while searching for some mindless television, I decided to watch the first epi. Ok, The Fashion Show tries really hard to be like Project Runway, but Bravo, you gave that up and nothing can replace PR. However, I was surprised to see Calvin Tran participating in the competition. More than that, I was surprised at his behavior. I couldn't get beyond the first epi, and I've heard that he gets better, and I don't know if this we deter me from entering his store on Halsted again, but I did think about it.

A couple images from his Winter collection

No comments: