|Red Bean Stew from Cooking Light|
So, every Monday I am going to start sharing one of our go-to healthy (usually) recipes for dinner. If anyone wants to join in, I'd be happy to put up a little linky widget, and I'd be even happier to hear what you all make for dinner! I need new recipes!!
RED BEAN STEW (my five yr old loves this, the three yr old will eat it, but not her fave)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups presliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (i always use boxed tomatoes)
- 1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini (about 4 ounces short tube-shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons commercial pesto
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Sometimes I add garlic, onion and italian spices for more flavor
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrot; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in water and the next 4 ingredients (through broth). Cover; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta; cook, uncovered, for 11 minutes or until pasta is done. Stir in pesto; sprinkle each serving with cheese.