Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fabulous Granola Recipe

A friend of ours has a fabulous tradition in his family where they must make all of the holiday gifts that they exchange.  We have enjoyed hearing of his yearly crafting which has included items like hard candy, Kaluha, soap and more.

Probably about six years ago, he made granola and hand wrote his recipe on a post-it for me.  The post-it is tucked in a sleeve in my recipe binder to be found each winter!  It just seems like more of a cool weather recipe.  The best part about it is that you can vary the recipe to fit with what is in your pantry...lots can be substituted.  Oh, and I'm totally down with any baking that makes my house smell like I've been working my arse off much more than I actually have.




Tom's Homemade Granola Recipe


MIX
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon


WISK the following and pour over dry ingredients
1/3 c Canola oil
3/4 c honey
1/2 tsp vanilla


Pour onto ungreased cookie sheet
Bake @350 for 20 min
STIR STIR STIR ever 4-5 minutes


Substitutions I've made:
  • Can use walnuts even almonds
  • I only had 1/2 cup of honey the other day and used maple syrup to complete the 3/4 c
  • I always add 1/2-1 tsp nut meg
  • Can add dried fruit, obvi
I recommend doubling the recipe because if your house is like mine, a single batch can get eaten in a day!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

I love the smell of winter cooking.....breads and cookies and stews and soups. yum.

Cara Kuhl said...

i love granola ~ you've just inspired me to make my own!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Pretty cool idea! And homemade gifts are that much more meaningful.

Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Josie said...

Yum! This sounds so tasty! I never thought about making my own granola.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com