Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Super Food

We are back from our trip!  Had a marvelous time and much to report, but in the meantime, wanted to talk about yet another super food that is getting a lot of hype lately - at least in my periodicals - Cauliflower!  It has tons of anti-oxidents and vitamin C and I've read that it is great for the skin too!  We love it raw, but here is another way to get a healthy dose in a big tasty way!

 

Mockiflower Garlic Mashed

1 head of cauliflower - steamed
1/4 cup parmesan 
Milk or Cream (add to desired consistency)
1-2 cloves garlic - chopped or minced

Steam cauliflower and put into blender or food processor while still warm.  Yep, I am still using my blender - food processor still in wedding box.  Then add garlic and milk.  Blend.  Add parm towards the end.

La voila!  Instant mashed potatoes without all the work.  Great with some sort of breaded or crusted chicken.

Recipe is not so precise as I just made it up based on a recipe I had read in Rachel Ray or some magazine like that.

Results:
  • I loved it!
  • Kids said they didn't like it, but then proceeded to clean their plates.
  • Husband said it was ok, and then also proceeded to clean his plate.
I will definitely make again.  Would also be fun to use purple cauliflower.  Ahhh, dreaming of the farmer's market!

p.s.  And if you like G&B, don't forget to vote for us for the Top 25 Mom Blogs..link to the upper right.  You can can vote once daily through Feb 28th.   Thank you!

5 comments:

Micah said...

I've heard about people making potato soup this way, but I haven't actually tried it. With your stamp of approval, I may have to give it a whirl.

torrie said...

sounds delicious... also love cauliflower mac & cheese (more goodness- health-wise... less pasta).

can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Cara Kuhl said...

Loving this recipe ~ I've been on a total cauliflower kick recently (proof is in the pudding ~ I have recipes posted for cauliflower pizza crust and cauliflower soup!)

This is a must-try for me ~ thanks for sharing!

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

I loved it roasted. Never tried it this way - now i need to!

Fash Boulevard said...

must try this. fabulous post, love. thanks for sharing. if you get a sec, I'd love to hear what you think of my Shoemint photo shoot. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com