Monday, January 30, 2012

Red Lentil Goodness



I don't know about everyone else, but we've been fighting colds in our house and they seem to be lingering...and lingering.  The other night, I just wanted healthy tasting soup to sip but couldn't find a recipe that matched all the ingredients I had on hand.  So, I threw one together, combining ideas from several recipes and I came up with a yummy red lentil soup...it was surprisingly good.  Quantities are approximate..

2 tbl Olive Oil
4 carrots chopped
1 celery stalk chopped
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped


Sautee carrots, onion, celery and garlic in oil, when onions become opaque add:


1/2 box chopped tomatoes (I use Pomi brand - quantity similar to one 14oz can probably)
1 large box Chicken broth
1 cup red lentils 
Few shakes cumin
Dried parsley
Salt and Pepper


Bring to boil and simmer...the longer you simmer the thicker it becomes.

Top with shredded parm...because we top everything with parm.

3 comments:

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Comfort in a bowl. Yum.

torrie said...

omg. that looks so good. & healthy too. win/win.

Dawn said...

This looks so darn good. I love soup and need a new recipe. Thanks, let you know if I actually get around to it, I should because this is so easy. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo