Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Park it Alone

When I lived in New York City, I did a lot of hanging out at Battery Park.  I would fill a bag with a blanket, water, and magazines, jump on the subway and just people watch and veg all afternoon.  Sometimes, I would stop in this little convenient store on the first floor of a highrise office building and pick up a green tea mochi on my way home as I began my trek up to the east village.  It was during this time in NY that I learned to enjoy being alone with my own company.  I think that's important.  In fact, in the book, Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know, the seventh thing a woman should know is, how to live alone, even if you don't like to.  I agree with this and got it in just in the nick of time at the ripe old age of 29.  I have Manhattan to thank for that and a little area known as Battery Park City on the Hudson.




  


5 comments:

Allie said...

How cool is it that I read this post and I just happen to be in NYC today - in lower Manhattan so very close to this very spot. I remember that time so well - when a few of us were in transition and trying to figure things out (which we did!). How about we try and come here together??? xo

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

You're absolutely right! I used to go to BPC all the time when my friend lived down there. The park is amazing and it was so nice to be so close to the water. It was almost a little escape inside the city. :) xoxo

Anna @ IHOD said...

I rate a city based on its parks...;) Well one of the factors I rate it on! This one looks fantastic.
And I agree- so important to be happy with you before you can dedicate your life to someone.

P.S. Thank you for the sweetest DIY compliment! Made me smile! So happy they are working for you!!

Susan said...

I have never lived alone. Is that crazy? I went straight from my parent's home to my married one like a good european girl. ;)

Such great shots. I need to do a trip to NYC just to enjoy all the parks that I've never visited including Central Park. I get too wrapped up in the shopping.

bestie said...

fwb, YES - let's definitely go there together sometime.

the alternative wife - it IS an escape within the city - i miss that place. but heading to nyc for a few days in june and can't wait to get a good dose!