Tuesday, October 02, 2012

wholewheat pancakes


In our house, Sunday mornings beg for coffee and something baked, floury and sweet. Attempting my usual German Pancake recipe using all whole wheat flour was risky - I knew the science of it just wasn't right, but it was worth a try.  I adapted the recipe slightly to accommodate for the bland hay taste that many 100% whole wheat pancakes recipes result in...



Whole Wheat Baked Pancakes

(prep time:  less than 10 minutes; you know my rule)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and melt 1 T butter in each cake pan while oven is heating.

2/3 c whole wheat flour
2/3 c milk
2 eggs
2 T sugar
1 T nutmeg
1 t vanilla

Mix all ingredients well.  When butter pads in pans are melted, remove pans, swirl around butter to cover most of the pan and pour the rest into the mixing bowl.  Stir.

Divide batter and pour into each cake pan, bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

The pancakes will not fluff up as in regular German pancakes, but they serve as a wonderful base for powdered sugar, fruit, and syrup.  The kids gobbled them up and Sunday remained processed white flour free.

And Mom didn't have to stand at the stove for 30 minutes flipping flapjacks, letting her coffee get cold, and missing quality breakfast time with the family.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

2 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

OOH delishimo. And so pretty! I'll just slink away and have my toast and butter now.

Allie said...

I love this! I will be trying this weekend for sure...xo