Monday, March 26, 2012

Salad Kick

Sunday morning after half a cup of coffee.....

Me:  I think I'll try to go for a run along the lake this morning


5yr old son:  Mommy, this will be like your first exercise of the year, huh?!


Me:  Huh?!

Apparently, he doesn't considering our morning three block power walk to school a workout.  Nor does he think that power walk that sometimes turns into a full on sprint, with me holding a 40 lb weight, otherwise known as his sister, is exercise.  Even though, I break into a full out sweat every morning before we even get out the door.  Proof that I am burning calories.  I mean, there should be gatorade stops on our morning commute.  Or how about crossing guards handing out power bars!  Something, because this morning routine is hard work.

Who knew that I had my only little workout tracker app living under my roof.

If I went by my son's calculations, I probably should have gained ten pounds since the new year, but luckily that's not the case.  (Maybe a handful though and I'm working on that).  Perhaps, healthy salads have saved me from gaining the extra parental pounds.  Or maybe it's the calorie burning nervous energy that comes with rushing your kids to school on time or running to that next meeting.  Whatever the case, I'm on a yummy salad kick, and perhaps I should be on another kick, but nothin like a little 5 yr old honesty to kick me in gear.


Apple Walnut Salad
recipe adapted from my mother's church cookbook
(you know the one that calls for a lot of geletin and velveeta)

10oz Spinach
2 medium Granny Smith Apples - chopped
1/2 small red onion - chopped
1/4 chopped waluts

Dressing:

1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
3 tbl sugar 
(recipe calls for 1/4 c sugar, but i think that's too much)
garlic powder or one clove fresh garlic

8 comments:

Julie and Lauren said...

Looks delish! And simple enough for me to actually make ; )

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Dude, that morning commute totally counts in my book ;)

Nicole said...

Haha! Gotta love the words that come out of kids' mouthes huh? That salad sounds quite tasty...inspiration for lunch today!

bestie said...

who knew that it is national spinach day? not me, but what perfect timing!

bestie said...

who knew that it is national spinach day? not me, but what perfect timing!

About Last Weekend said...

This looks so re-freshing. Just about to head off to the store so I might get the ingredients for this!

Life Through Preppy Glasses said...

this sounds great! salad basically sustains my existence!

torrie said...

"geletin and velveeta"... fuuuuuuny =). (love those lil' church cookbooks/ladies)