Vegan-ish Oatmeal Cookies
I adapted this recipe based on a ten-minute google search of vegan oatmeal cookies. Admittedly, I did not search for vegan recipes based on health restrictions, but for the mere and indulging fact that I want to eat cookie dough by the spoonfuls without worrying about salmonella poisoning. How did we survive as children - we licked the spoons, beaters, bowls, everything. And nothing, not one time did we get sick. So, with knowledge comes vegan cookie recipe searching.
I just used ingredients I had on hand. To make them really vegan, replace milk with soy milk and butter with vegan spread.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (use half whole wheat if you prefer)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons maple agave syrup blend
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- 2. Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt and quick oats
- 3. Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy
- 4. Beat in the milk, lemon juice and vanilla
- 5. Mix dry ingredients with the creamed mixture
- 6. Stir in coconut
And here is what you do with the leftover dough (if you haven't eaten half of it - like I did)
Place spoonfuls on ungreased baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes @ 375 degrees.